We can’t attack Stephenie Meyer because she is rich.
We can’t attack Stephenie Meyer because her book and the woman herself have moved beyond the real and have become cultural icons.
What is wrong with girls having power to choose when they want to have sex?
What is wrong with…
I agree passionately with what Mette says here with just one tiny change. I don’t believe Bella’s choice to keep her baby is “anti-feminist.” It was a choice. If the book showed Bella wanting to abort but being pressured into keeping her baby, I could see a problem (in fact all her loved ones are encouraging her to abort for her own sake, but she sticks to her guns). If the book showed multiple young women who all made the same choice as if it were the only correct choice for everyone, I could see a problem. But this is one woman who makes her own choice. Feminism advocates for women to have the opportunity to make choices and live their lives according to their best desires and full potential, not hindered by their gender. If feminism has changed and only advocates for women’s right to make choices that always agree with me/you/the group/some ideology, then feminism won’t work anymore.
I recently heard a writer speaking at a conference (a writer I respect, like, and who has had objectively admirable success). When asked by the audience to name a favorite book, he answered, “I’ll tell you one I wish had never been written: Twilight.” It was an unnecessary and petty comment, I thought, but what really troubled me was the audience’s reaction: they applauded and cheered. I’ve encountered similar scenes dozens of times.By all means, don’t like Twilight. Don’t read it. Or read it and have intelligent conversations about why you don’t like it. But I question why it’s become okay to hate, mock, demean, ridicule this writer woman and her series that’s loved by so many women.
One thing I like about tumblr is it’s organized around the positive. You like a post. You reblog a post. You ignore the negative. This seems healthy to me. I think we’re all happier when we define ourselves not by what we hate but by what we love.
I agree with pretty much everything in that list except that I’m pretty sure it’s not just “easy to read language”, but that it really is just bad writing. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying bad writing, though, as long as you acknowledge how bad it is. I like Twilight, but I don’t really take it seriously.
- 120smashthg reblogged this from metteivieharrison
- ladonnapietra likes this
- fairyscript likes this
- jasongracefanclub reblogged this from metteivieharrison and added:
- illbehereforawhile reblogged this from shannonhale
- elisefailin likes this
- kristeenagers reblogged this from metteivieharrison
- lyssness likes this
- porotto likes this
- ibmiller reblogged this from shannonhale and added:
- sterlinghart likes this
- awff7 likes this
- ennybunny likes this
- fogandapples reblogged this from metteivieharrison
- kelseypaigeart likes this
- utahalison reblogged this from shannonhale
- awordin likes this
- the-hyacinth-girl likes this
- essarte likes this
- theimaginarytwiggy likes this
- mermaid reblogged this from shannonhale
- katastrophicallynerdy reblogged this from shannonhale
- thesnuggliestduckling reblogged this from shannonhale
- vampire-of-soda reblogged this from shannonhale and added:
- plundermouse reblogged this from shannonhale
- plundermouse likes this
- bay-leaf likes this
- julihawk likes this
- bellsofsaintjohn likes this
- instarlight-inanotherworld reblogged this from shannonhale
- elenatintil reblogged this from shannonhale and added:
- elenatintil likes this
- robyn-sparkles likes this
- fargreencountryswiftsunrise reblogged this from shannonhale
- fargreencountryswiftsunrise likes this
- liveasloved likes this
- luckbethelady reblogged this from shannonhale
- bookworm0618 reblogged this from metteivieharrison and added:
- eleniwriting reblogged this from metteivieharrison and added:
- connieonnie likes this
- readnowsleeplater reblogged this from shannonhale and added:
- wardengrey likes this
- squishy-bo-jangles reblogged this from shannonhale
- sailorwindy likes this
- readnowsleeplater likes this
- door reblogged this from shannonhale and added:
- elenaflutterby likes this
- shannonhale reblogged this from metteivieharrison and added:
- dreaming-and-drooling likes this
- thehunbun reblogged this from metteivieharrison and added: